Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sun Salutations

The Salute to the Sun, or Surya Namaskar, is a linked series of poses that energizes, strengthens, and stretches every part of the body. It is thousands of years old and is believed to have originated as an actual prayer to the sun. Today we don't use it as a prayer but as a way to "greet the day" and bring health to the body. It is traditionally done facing East upon waking.

In these following videos I lead you through a half Sun Salutation, then a full Sun Salutation. There are many variations on these moves, but this is a basic, classical version. Another thing about these videos-I mention at one point that you must "keep your ears in line with your shoulders," when I was clearly breaking my own rule! All I can say is, at that point, do as I say, not as I do. I know now that that is something I should work on.

Always make sure that you are in good health and able to perform the yoga postures. Checking with your doctor couldn't hurt, either. These videos were filmed at In Spirit Living in Long Branch, NJ.


No comments:

Post a Comment